As relocation overseas is becoming a more common scenario for Australian families, family and relationships law often extends beyond Australian borders. Our team frequently advises ex-pat clients who need assistance with Australian family law. We also act in many relocation matters which involve international aspects.
In particular, we have experience with the following:
- Financial agreements for married, heterosexual and same-sex domestic couples. This includes drawing up financial agreements to record any agreement reached by a couple about how their property and financial assets will be settled if they should separate.
- Property settlement and the re-structure of family assets: advising on property settlement and the re-structure of family assets following separation, including assets located both in Australia and overseas.
- Arrangements for children: advising on appropriate arrangements for children following separation, including where one party wishes to relocate with the children, or return to Australia with the children.
- Matters involving international child abduction.
- Child support: advising on appropriate child support arrangements and documenting these by way of binding child support agreements.
- Registration of overseas orders: including child support and maintenance orders and judgments.
- Obtaining a divorce in Australia: where one or more of the parties to the marriage is an Australian citizen.